Sentencing: the final analysis
£1,695.00* Price is per group unless stated
Typically 95% of health and safety cases result in a conviction. Other streams of regulatory law boast similarly impressive prosecution statistics. As such, the sentencing exercise plays a key role in the disposal of the vast majority of cases.
There is a very close correlation between how a business manages a case from the outset and how the sentencing exercise is conducted. In this workshop we will look at how important early case assessment and strategy setting are to the process of punishing corporate offenders.
Following an overview of sentencing practice and using an industry specific scenario (or indeed one of your own incident reports), delegates will have the opportunity to apply what they have learnt and will take the opportunity to be defence Counsel and the sentencing Judge as they identify and articulate the basis of guilty plea before the Court.
- Sentencing Guidelines – their importance and mechanics
- The road map to a proportionate sentence
- The impact of pleas
- Negotiating a guilty plea – why is it important?
- Aggravating and mitigating features and their presentation in Court
- Submissions on the financial position of an organisation
- Sentencing tracker – current trends and industry specific cases of interest
- Post hearing – payment, PR and moving on
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at those who may play a part in the sentencing process including:-
- Directors and managers (particularly those with responsibilities for regulatory matters)
- SHE Managers
- HR professionals
- In-house lawyers
- Operational managers and supervisors
- Finance Directors and managers
- PR professionals